Wow! The last few weeks have been crazily busy. Apart from the lovely few days I had with Maggie, it's been ALL go around here. We had our first marking period, plus student portfolios; which for the most part they are supposed to do for themselves... except the KG1s. I had to do nearly 200 portfolio pages which meant taking photos of every child (spending HOURS trying to match all those photos to names) and uploading photos and text for each of them. WHEW! And we do it all again 2 more times before the end of the year.
Then we had our art show. Last year, you may remember, they did a big end of year show which I helped set up, and this year they wanted to do something more craft based and earlier on in the year. Things didn't turn out quite as planned for a number of reasons, but the show went ahead, which meant a lot of time spent on prepping the work for display.
These are the works of my KG2 class. I did something totally different to the other KG2 classes, but my kids loved this project and I love the results.
translation method) they had to cover their page in with it and from there make it creative. I really encouraged them to be individual with this project, and I think it shows in their work.
This piece my students left with me...complete with label, so I put it in the show.
Ok, last grade (you know this is as much a record for me!). My GAZILLION of KG1s. Nearly 200 of them, so I knew I couldn't really do a piece each (especially as we have next to no hanging space at school). I have also started to go into all their classes with my cart to make my life a bit easier, and to give me more time with them. The transitioning for them to the art room took so long and the lesson is only 40 minutes... by the time I had resettled them we were lucky to have 20 minutes of making art. I prefer going to them, they are more settled, but it does mean I need to be super organised and any painting projects need to be limited to one table (smocks, table cloths etc).
So I did a lesson about mark making. I had one table set up with stamp pads that I made by putting a net covered sponge into a container with paint (these worked quite well actually), and found objects for stamping. We had plastic bottle tops, some toys, some shapes cut out of foam, a cellulite roller and more; anything really I could find that might make an interesting mark (I specifically bought the cellulite roller for this project). While one group of 4-6 made marks on a big sheet of paper (I swapped around the colours and turned the paper to get full coverage), the rest of the class had similar objects and home made play dough.