11 October, 2012

Postcard from Singapore: Arab Street

Today we (me and my gal pals) went on an outing to Arab St which is a fantastic group of old shop houses right near a big mosque that sell mostly fabrics and carpets.  The fabrics are amazing, particularly if you are looking for silk and laces.  Seriously every kind of gorgeous fabric (except knit t-shirt fabric which is what I am searching for right now).  It was a little overwhelming the choice.
 We had great fun poking around in the fabric crammed shops.  They don't allow you to take photos inside the shops though...I snapped this blurred one as the guy was out the back looking for something for us.  This particular place sold lovely Indian block printed table cloths and runners etc.  I did buy a few things in here that I will try to remember to photograph tomorrow (when the light is good and I can find where Oscar put my camera)
 We cruised all the way down to the end of the street and then stopped for lunch before coming all the way back up.  I have to say that it got a bit overkill on the way back as many of the shops are very similar.  I loved the view up the side streets looking toward the mosque.
 I really love all these old Singaporean shop houses.

1 comment:

  1. I must say the Singapore blogs have a quite sparky touch to them, sort of like what I would have expected if you had lived on Manhattan.
    love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis