22 October, 2014

What to do in the school holiday

On Saturday Ella and I went for our usual weekly schmooze around town.  We stop in on some of our favourite shops, have lunch or a green tea together and generally just explore.  I took her to a new mall that's opened off the back of another and we accidentally stumbled upon a rescue dog adoption drive.  

Well, we are seriously missing having a pup in our lives, so we went in for some sniffs and snuggles the whole time answering the question "are you looking to adopt a dog" with, "no, we're not really, we just miss our dog.  We don't really know how long we'll be in Singapore for…"

There were big dogs and little dogs, and puppies.  We got to hold some puppies.  And then I picked up this little girl…and I couldn't put her down.  SO overwhelmed.  She'd only been captured a week ago from a container park.  She and her mum and siblings were running around and hiding under the containers and she was the only one they managed to capture.  She'd never seen a human before that (or if she had, she'd hid).  
After half an hour of holding her, cuddling her (having our photos taken cuddling her), I spoke to the woman about the possibility of adopting her. I filled in a form and we discussed fostering her this week as we were home and would have more time for her.  Sunday night she arrived.

We have her for 2 weeks to see if she's a good fit for us, then they will come back and we will all make a decision about adopting her.
This is her "i'm scared face" which looks remarkably like Eyore in Winne the pooh, and thankfully a face we are seeing less of.

She is SOOOOOOOOO skinny and we are still struggling with getting her to eat.  She has diarrhoea a lot, and sleeps a lot too.  Partly her coping mechanism for being overwhelmed, but also just because she is weak and recovering I think.
 She is a real sweetie and getting much better around us.  I'm sleeping with her to try and get her used to human contact (and it's easier to deal with those night time clean ups if we are in the same room).

 Remi loves her and spends as much time as possible with her.  This is his last week working, so when I go back to work next week he will be able to spend time with her.
I am really hoping that we can keep her.  It's so nice to have a dog in the house again.  The cats are a little freaked out, but we are just letting them get used to her.   I just hope she starts eating a bit more and can put on a bit of weight.  She's not running away from me all the time anymore though, so that's a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis