Still recovering here. Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm slowly pulling myself back together.
But on to the weekend's works.
I actually felt almost decent on Saturday, and after waking up at 5:30 am (it's getting light so early up in Vermont), I was working by 7am. The next big project: Oscar's room.
Here's a photo from the original real estate listing. I have to say it actually looks almost decent. It is not this bright in that room. The wall colour is MUCH darker, the cupboards are a dark cream (shock!), even the ceiling is just 2 shades lighter than the walls.
That bed is enormous, and what you can't see in either of those photos was that there was a big built in bookcase along one wall. And 3 doors leading into/out of the room . This room is more of a thoroughfare through to the back bunk room, and the door to Ella's room (a remnant from it was all one apartment) was less than soundproof.
So, the plan: rip out the bookcase, block up the door between Oscar and Ella's room and rebuild a bookcase in that little nook, so that the room once again becomes rectangular (at the moment Oscar's bed head is against the door to Ella's room as it was blocking too much of the room when it was against the window). That meant ripping off all the wainscoting and the enormous bookcase. The bookcase was a much bigger deal than I'd bargained for as there was a huge thick piece of plywood screwed into the wall at the back, and we weren't able to get the screws out again and had to pry it off the wall - damaging a lot of the wall in the process. We also uncovered lots of cracked and missing pieces of plaster behind the wainscoting.
But we got the room to this point: (actually I'd already started replastering the wall when I took this photo). Where the walls are white is where the bookcase and wainscoting was. But you can see how dark the wall colour is against the white.
But now, I'm off to repair and antique bedspread.....