05 September, 2010

The Gentleman's Gentleman

Last Monday I happened to see, at Costco, a DVD of the complete series of Jeeves and Wooster for only $23. The boys and I are huge Stephen Fry fans and over the summer we watched all the QI episodes available on You Tube. And of course we love Huge Laurie- especially when he was the Prince Regent in the Black Adder series. Anyway, so I thought I'd give Jeeves and Wooster a go. And I have to say I love it. What's more interesting is that the kids love it. Recently, I've got them into watching Agatha Christie murder mysteries, and from there they've watched a few Inspector Lewis. ( we really have to rely on what pops up unexpectedly on TV here). I was surprised that they enjoyed these as the pace is somewhat slower than the normal American TV. But they do. And it's the same with Jeeves and Wooster- it's slow, with a very subtle humour, but they really enjoy it.

I was quite happily working my way through the DVDs last week, spinning and knitting and what not, and then Matt and the kids started watching from the beginning again, and once more we have a TV show that we are all happy to sit down and watch together. LOVE IT. And while I find it witty and amusing- I love the way "Indeed sir" is used- I think I derive almost as much enjoyment from being FASCINATED with how people in the 20s lived. The details in the apartments, the clothes, the job requirements of a gentleman's valet, I find it all so interesting. I'm quite happy to watch them all again. In fact, watching this show, to me, is almost like reading a good book.

4 comments:

  1. Dr Siss and Rosy5:26 AM

    I hope you have all watch all the Inspector Rex series together as well.
    Dr Siss and Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the tv series Mad Men? Dave and I love it. Love seeing the differences in it and our day. Its American but set in the 60's. I love British tv series too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the historical aspect. Do you like English murder mystery too? and Jane Austin? I love 'who done its' and watch the Agatha Christie Inspector Poirot series. That's really intersting that the kids appreciate them, but it's the English genes coming through! I wonder what their American friends would think of them?

    mum (who has just had a fleeting trip to good old Sydney for work & remembered all the times I came up to visit you there)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wouldnt i love a gentlemans gentleman today....i love the period movies and love looking at the decor but i know i would never have survived the dress code and only just washing and having a bath perhaps once a month if you were lucky...yucko!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis