19 September, 2009

Done, done, DONE!

I'm DONE! I spent all this week furiously sewing quilting lines at every opportunity, and yesterday I was frantically sewing the binding on before a school function just to get it finished. AHHHHHHHHHH.
I'm happy with it. I have to say that this was the most successful quilting I've done- not too many puckers, even though I crossed the same point 3 times. I worked out how to really stretch out the two fabric pieces and it made all the difference.
The back has 3 strips of fabric set into it, so it was a real challenge to line it all up fairly evenly with the top piece.
I did mostly manage to do this, but I have to admit my corners flared out a bit, so there are some very obviously misaligned bits of fabric there...but we won't dwell on that, will we.
My only concern is that even though I measured, it just doesn't look big enough for a Queen sized bed. And throughout the process of making this quilt, I realised it was for my mother. I haven't made her a quilt before, and initially I thought it would be nice to make one for her to use when she comes to stay in 2 weeks, but then I thought it would be even nicer to give it to her...after all, she is having her 60th birthday while she is here.
I just hope she likes it. Honey does...while I was doing my little photo shoot she was running in circles around me going "spakka dogs" as we call it. She is so obviously part boarder collie, she just needs run and run sometimes. And who can blame her for being excited on a day like today- gorgeous "champagne September" weather. Cool, only about 16C, but gorgeous.
And while I was out in the garden with my camera, I thought I'd take some photos of our poor little demolished shed.
Last Sunday, just as we were getting up, we heard an almighty crash and the sound of splintering wood. Our first thought was the car that we park under a tree, but after a look around we found that our dear little shed had been crushed by a neighbour's rotten tree.
This little shed was OLD. Inside it had huge iron hooks hanging from the ceiling, so it must have been used for drying something, or for keeping food during winter or something like that.
I loved photographing the door with the tiny remnants of yellow and green paint and that fabulous old hinge.
Poor little shed.

3 comments:

  1. well that just looks amazing. Your Mum is gunna love snuggling up under that one! WEll done George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i wish my daughters(or someone) would make me a gorgeous quilt like that and i would not care if the edge curled even the tinsiest bit.... it is fantastic...you have done and amazing job...your mum will love it....
    and Oh that poor darling little shed...does the neighbor have to pay for that to be replaced????

    ReplyDelete
  3. not gunna happen Mum.... I dont quilt... he he... but you do have STACKS of paintings on your walls!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis