16 September, 2009

The boring bit

So, I've been thinking about my last post. And I have come up with a theory...(slightly tongue in cheek)

Maybe the difference between ART and CRAFT is that at some point craft has a BORING bit. A bit that is pure craft ( Definitition: An activity involving skill in making things by hand). For crochet it's weaving in ends, for knitting it's swatching, blocking and sewing up, for quilting it's pinning (or tacking) the layers together...
Getting the layers taught, attaching them to each other. MIND NUMBINGLY BORING!!! I even tried listening to ABBA, but to no avail. Fortunately I ran out of pins, so I had to stop.
The other part of the craft definition is the "skill" bit. If you look closely at this quilt...no, please don't...the seams don't match up, it's not really straight, and the boarders...well that comes from me buying 4 inches less than I needed for the back, piecing in extra fabric and then ending up with a back that was too big... No, not much skill in all this, more intuition , guess work and blind luck.

And while I'm espousing theories I have another one. Cats are sent to our world to supervise quilting. You see it all over the blogging world...quilts and cats. This cat (Lily) never comes to cuddle me unless there is food involved. Yesterday while I was pinning, she was ALL OVER me!!! I had to place her nearby so she could watch...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:50 AM

    he he, the cat bit made me laugh!!!!! We love our Georgia bird quilt with crooked seams... it's a piece of art work! Chels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that sort of the equivalent of using various grades of sandpaper as used by spoon and bowl marking artists? (never mere craft people) You know...80, 120, 240, 400, 800, 100...double 00...
    But ideally only with the company of dogs...and only in Tasmania where the wood deserves such care...or perhaps Tasmanian wood in other places, not that it is ever available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you made me miss my cats..Darni was a siamese..very sociable saimese and not a meowy one either we inherited her from some friends of Chels who couldnt take her with them ...she became my cat...she loved to give smoochy cuddles..we had to have her put down as she got a cancer in her eye at 14..i figure that was a grand age to leave this cat life.....and then there was Lehi..he was inherited too from my eldest daughter when she moved into a flat and couldnt take him...he was a neuted male and a giant of a blue longhaired persian cat... he loved everyone and lived to be 20 years old...i have said i could never replace them and i am sticking to it ...the girls have asked and i have said NO....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Annette, I have had a few cats in my time. 3 have had to go and live with other people when we move, but I have to say I can't help myself. A house is just not a home to me unless it has a cat in it. For a start, I'd have no one to supervise my sewing;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:45 AM

    I saw a news article about having at least 2 pets in the home and how it can reduce asthma and allergy levels. If you are around animals from birth its supposed to be fabulous. I agree! We cant wait to get a dog when we move into our house. Getting animals is interesting, wondering what they will be like. A smoochy cat or a scratchy cat.... Chels

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis