22 March, 2011

Books and bags

Some nice dark photos for you today (did I mention it was snowing yesterday?). I get so cold in this house, but have a lovely radiant heater in my studio which keeps me toasty (on one side). So yesterday I spent the day up there, playing.

I made some books. These are made with manilla folder covers with folded paper stitched together. Then I strengthened the covers by sewing on fabric and all kinds of ephemera and bits of fabric and paper. A bit of bias binding on the spine and VOILA!
Some note books/sketch books.



No glue, only sewing. And the backs have been decorated too.
They actually have a nice feel to them due to the heaviness of the covers.
And I finished off some projects- two bags I started ages ago. This one, which is really useful actually. Nice and heavy canvas, fully lined and there's an outside pocket on the other side.
And this one. I've been wanting to make a rice bag bag for ages. I love that they come with a zip already in them.
It's fully lined, and I used the zip to make a small internal pocket. Actually this bag is full reversible which wasn't anything I planned. And the strap? One of the many martial arts belts of the kids that I have saved.
It's so nice sometimes to just play with the sewing machine and see what happens...

6 comments:

  1. cooool. Fun to see some things familiar on the books!!! You are clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Chels- I keep everything you send me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one Georgia- you are so productive! I especially love the rice bag, but they are all great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you are not doing a 1st year Visual Arts course on the side? I may need one of those for an assignment I have due later in the semester, that sort of stuff which seems to be so favoured by art school lecturers is not my thing at all..
    And quite right to use those blue belts for something, the thing about blue belts, they are scarcely never actually worn out in class, need to be recycled.
    love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georgia Girl, you are way too clever!!!
    Maggie XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the new look of your blog, and all the notebooks and bags. Very funky! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis