20 March, 2015

Painting

A while ago Matt moved into a new office.  He told me that he had white walls and I said I'd do a painting for him.

The problem with having a real job is that it really gets in the way of projects like this, and it was weeks later, coming back from Thailand, that I got the opportunity to finish it.
 I had originally planned to paint a tree and in fact I have a new canvas made up ready to do so.  But as I was putting down the blue, it just became something else.
 It's totally inspired by my experiences in Thailand.  It represents so much to me, that I am actually enjoying the fact that it's only made it this far to the front door and not out it yet.  I called it Transitional elements, and to me it represents lanterns floating up into the night sky, reflections on still water, waterfalls, and just the feeling of lightness I felt while I was there.  It's trying to hold on to that feeling as it runs like water through your hands.

It has layer upon layer of paint and thus is a tricky beast to photograph accurately (still haven't managed it yet).  I was watching a video just this week of how Mark Rothko (whose work I adore) painted and it turns out we're on the same page.
 I'm really happy with the detail too.  The reflectiveness of the gold foil makes it really hard to photograph too.

 Another attempt to photograph it...


And a selfie I took of Meeka and me out for our nightly romp.  I've been running a bit again and love it.  Still building up time and distance, but pups needs at least 5 km every night otherwise she's running all over the house.  She gets longer walks on the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. I guess we'll all just have to come over to see it - and Meeka, of course. See you in Tassie soon.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks terrific. I found those lanterns wafting up to the sky quite magic too. So looking forward to seeing you. much love mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks terrific. I found those lanterns wafting up to the sky quite magic too. So looking forward to seeing you. much love mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis