13 July, 2012

Coming along

I had a bit of a freak out yesterday when I realised that we leave for Singapore in a month. There is still so much to do! The boys and I have been working hard this week. Starting by 9 ( it is the school hols after all) and finishing up at dinner time. I tend to fall into bed, exhausted, by about 9. Kit and Ella have been sick all week, Ella especially so ( I did have a break the other day to take her to the doctor), and I feel like I've hardly seen them. Fortunately we have a gazillion DVDs and plenty of TVs and DVD players.

Oscar has spent all week on the shed, with Remi stepping in to help yesterday - to go up the ladder (Osc has a real aversion to ladders). It's still not done...
Meanwhile I have been up and down the ladder and have got thus far with the house painting:





You may notice that I have only done the ground story of the house...I will have 5 of those top dormer windows to do in all, plus the sections on both sides above the barn. I am leaving those for now as they are much more fiddly and time consuming: a lot of the wood is rotting and I need to caulk, and use my wood hardener and epoxy putty mix to rebuild it. Plus it is fiddly painting up a REALLY high ladder. I thought I'd get my ladder legs in for a week or so first.

And I know that the colours of the house don't look fantastic with the red roof, but that is getting replaced after we leave. With a nice dark grey. The roof is well and truly spent and we knew when we bought the place that the roof needed replacing.....not to mention the windows, but that will have to wait for another time.

So perhaps my freak out was justified. Oscar is going down to CT for a week next Friday and Remi is going off to Maine with his friend for a week the week later; right before we leave. I still have to build Ella's cupboard and paint it, plus put up the trim in her room, do some fix up painting in the Remi and Kit's room, paint my room (I had dreams of moving the opening for the cupboard in my room from bathroom to the bedroom, but I don't think I will have time), and prep the garden a bit. Oh, and our contractor is supposed to be building a portico out the front of the house but he spent a full day here on Monday and then disappeared for the rest of the week. And when he's done with that, I will need to paint that too....

Best get on with it all then. Looking forward to having Matt up for the weekend to rope him into something....
Posted from my ipad

9 comments:

  1. All good stuff, but could we please have some details about how it is going to be rented etc...also some sort of idea about how often you intend to return to do the vacuuming, dusting, clean out the septic tank, mow the lawn etc.
    love
    Dad...now off to cut some glass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure we are going to rent it. At this stage we are looking at just offering it to friends if they'll throw in some money for heating/ snow plowing and cleaning. Easy enough to organise all that kind of thing...we've had a caretaker for the last year and a half.

      Delete
  2. i am going to have a lie down now after reading all that...i am exhausted...you are an achiever Georgia...i know you will get it done...Tell em ...what are you going to do in Singapore...i think you will have withdrawals!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you aren't going to want to leave !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh honey, slow down, and maybe get someone to fix those high bits. It makes me nervous to think of you working up that high. Tell Remi to have a wonderful time in Maine and I hope Oscar has a great time too.

    I'm off to Melbourne tomorrow and then to Darwin Tuesday and Kakadu for 10 days. Just finished the Festival which was great, but it's lovey to have finished.

    mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh honey, slow down, and maybe get someone to fix those high bits. It makes me nervous to think of you working up that high. Tell Remi to have a wonderful time in Maine and I hope Oscar has a great time too.

    I'm off to Melbourne tomorrow and then to Darwin Tuesday and Kakadu for 10 days. Just finished the Festival which was great, but it's lovey to have finished.

    mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let us know if there is anything we can do xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I was busy preparing our move, but I guess not! Wow! Impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was busy preparing our move, but I guess not! Wow! Impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis