13 July, 2011

Barn

As promised, photos of the barn re do, but first my little crochet cover on my vase...

[ Blogger's new layout is fantastic, but I'm used to loading my photos backwards to get them in the right order, and now they load in the right order...]



The "barn"is an extension on the main part of the house.  Upstairs is the boys' room and a kind of walkway, downstairs is the bar room and the "barn" room.  The barn room used to be painted dark barn red inside, with lots of orange pine, and was overstuffed with furniture.  It was my least favourite room in the house, but it is the family room where there is a gas stove and where we end up watching movies.

So here it is from the outside.  It has barn doors which open onto this courtyard which also opens onto the kitchen back door.
 And the barn:  I had originally intended to paint all that orange pine white, but that's a BIG job and for now I can live with it.  Eventually I want to finish running a (bigger) mantle all the way across.
 The furniture for this room is too big- it was here.  We took out half of the corner couch: it's now our outside "redneck" couch for when Matt's BBQing.  The green chair we inherited from our neighbours.  {Vermont is big on curbside recycling- if You don't want it, put it out on the street.  Usually things go, if not, take them to the dump and even there if it's worth salvaging, someone will take it.}
 This is my crazy pavement I did under the gas stove.  When we moved in there were some loose big tiles kind of shoved onto a very uneven concrete block.  A few of these tiles were broken.  So my solution: to break them all up and crazy tile.  The smashing of the tiles was unbelievably fun, and I have to say that I think it looks great.  I love it when my ideas turn out.
 The hideous couch; how many blankets, can you use to cover it?  Looking back through the bar room (should have moved the vacuum cleaner) and the lovely little green room
 And this is the "gang plank"/walkway.  A very strange use of space.  We eventually want to put some kind of stair case up to here so that the boys can access their room from this room (right now they have to go through Oscar's room to get to the rest of the house), but we still haven't quite worked out how to do it.  So for now, it's doubling up as my "shed".  Very pleased with this day's work- getting those shelves up and making it work.
 So there you have it.  I have to say that NOW this is one of my favourite rooms in the house.  It is SO. MUCH. LIGHTER.!!!  And it gets sun from both sides, and a cross breeze and it's lovely to look out those doors.

4 comments:

  1. very flash, but my favourite bit is the first one which looks as though there is someone in a beanie sitting one the chair.
    love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous news on the all clear to go for a jog... LOVE the makeover of the barn... i can see why that room is your favorite.... so rsetful.... the tiled pad for the fire looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I forgot to mention, actually didn't even notice until it was pointed out to me, what a fabulous bowl in the same picture, looks like Huon Pine, but how could that be...now off you go for a 10 k jog...
    love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the redneck comment on the couch outside. Have you seen Justified? Love that series....a bit rednecky! The tiled fire spot looks greta... you are clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis