05 May, 2011

Growth

It's been crazy lovely weather around here lately (although today has been rain and we're set to have that for a few more days) and I wanted to share the beauty that is spring in this part of the world. Every day I drive around streets with blossoms and flowers and it's just SO pretty, so yesterday I took my camera with me. The old hold and shoot and see what comes out ...


Even just this week I've noticed how much more GREEN every thing is.
And the dogwoods! I love the dogwoods. When I first moved here, I thought they must be japanese or something; such graceful branches, looking like a flock of butterflies had just alighted on the branches for a moment. I just can't get enough of them.

Of course, all this abundant growth has made me want to garden. I've put in a few little plants out the front and restocked my herb garden with the ones that didn't make it through the winter. I'm having to stop myself from starting a veggie garden this year as we'll be spending so much time up north, that I can't really justify it in either state.

And I have solved my itchy hands/creative funk problem by beginning the Yggdrasil Afghan. I loved it when I first sawit, but it always looked like such a big project to start. And to be honest, I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it as it's quite a complicated pattern with lots of cables, and although I've been knitting for over 20 years, I am quite new to cables. My fears were realised when I had to start the bleeding thing 6 times and it STILL wasn't right...until I worked out that I was reading the cable stitch back to front- duh! Since then, it's been slowly growing- a bit like spring on my needles.
I don't know how big I'm going to make it...I wonder if I'd have the patience to get it to this...,
but for now, it's lots of fun.


3 comments:

  1. ahhh blossoms, love that time of year. Enjoy it! Heard Ithaca has had so much rain... have you guys had lots? And the brown afgan is amazing! You can do it George. Dont know how you do it but you are so amazing at things like that! I have dreams of knitting a big bed blanket with HUGe needles and huge chunky grey wool but ...... yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning....to both ...the blossom and the green growth...how beautifully clever is mother nature....love that rug...cant wit to see it when it is finished...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the Spring and warm weather is coming for you. We had first frost on mountain here yesterday brr, but the lovely sunny morning following it, as worthwhile

    mum xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis