26 March, 2011

Bathroom blitz

I have been hard at work over the last few days. Not only finishing off the big bathroom, but I also got stuck into the small bathroom that the kids use.

No before photos, unfortunately; however if you look in my blog archive when I posted the original photos of the house (October? November?) - it's too hard to do on my iPad.

The bathroom was wallpapered in a yellow fleur de lis, and all the trim and ceiling were painted a colour somewhere between yellow and green. It's an internal room with no window, so it was incredibly dark. There's also the most useless tiny sink (hand painted and oh so ugly) and the cabinet was a faux antique finish hand painted thing as well. Not to the taste of my family. And then there was the heavily ornate (and heavy) gold framed mirror... You get the picture.

And now....


I painted the trim and the ceiling white semi gloss, which made a HUGE difference in the amount of light in the room. I was a bit lost as to what colour to paint it; I wanted to use some paint I already had as it isn't a big space. Because the floor is so brown, I tried colours in that area, but in thhe end I went with the same blue as in my bathroom- it reflects light so beautifully and is really fresh and clean.


Unfortunately the loo and the sink are a really buttermilk creamy colour, but I had to work with what I could. I painted the cabinet with the lovely denim blue paint that I mixed and used in the boys' room, and my free mirror from the dump has a new home. Behind the mirror is a hole in the wall where their either was or was going to be a medicine cabinet. Not sure what to do about it, so for now, it's covered by the mirror. I replaced the towel rails and put up a toilet roll holder and I think it looks pretty good. And the icing on the cake are the gorgeous eiffel tower photos that Oscar took when he went to Paris 4 years ago.

And my bathroom is done done done. I put up the trim, and did another coat of white on the floor, and finished painting the little alcove between the bathroom and out bedroom.

















These photos were taken around 7pm when the light was mostly gone (although it's rained all week, so it's been grey all week). But during the day, this is one of my favourite rooms in the house.

I've already started peeling bits of the wallpaper in the kitchen off (it's a disease, I know!), so I suspect that's where I'll be working next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I LOVE to have comments-even if I don't know you, please stop by and say HI! If you have a question for me, I'll answer in the comments, so please check back.

ShareThis